District 23-C Connecticut United States
|Club Address:P.O. Box 525; Essex, CT. 06426 |
This Page address: http://EssexCT.lionwap.org
Our other Web Address: http://essexctlionsclub.com/
When:1st and 3rd Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.
|Name||Office Tel||Home Tel|
|1st Vice President||860-399-2477|
|Membership Chairman||Steven Bogan||cell= 395-3574||860-767-7618|
History of the Lions ClubThe Essex Lions Club was organized on August 24, 1950 and Charter Night was held on October 26, 1950.
The Club had 29 Charter members and they included Arthur E. Price, President; James Bombaci, Secretary and Carl Sprafke, Treasurer. Over the years, the Club has met at several locations: the Griswold Inn, the Gull Restaurant, the Essex yacht Club and presently Oliver's Tavern.
Since its beginning in 1950, the Essex Lions Club has raised thousands of dollars that have been spent on community projects and donated to worthy organizations. The Club has held many different kings of fund raisers over it's history including door-to-door light bulb sales, shrub sales,pancake breakfasts,teddy bear shows,car shows and golf tournaments.
Older members have mentioned the sheep bake Charlie Doane organized at the Essex Great Meadows. Walt Budney fondly remembers the exploding pie filling moneymaker dubbed the "pumpkin caper."
For more than 20 years, the largest fund raiser for the Club has been an outdoor festival held in the summer. The first such event was known as the Essex Island Festival where chicken, beer and music were served at Essex Island Marina in cooperation with the Schieferdecker family,
The Club next held a pig roast in 1982 at the Essex Town Park on Main Street. The following year, the format was changed to the present Lobster Bake. This year's event was the most successful to date.
Projects made possible by donations from the Essex Lions Club include the gazebo in Town Park, the handicapped access ramp at the Ivoryton Playhouse,and the purchase of materials for the gazebo constructed by the Eagle Scout at Ivoryton Park.
Over the years, the Club has made substantial donations to the Essex Fire Department, the Essex Ambulance Association, Shoreline Soup Kitchen, the Essex Land Trust and many other community organizations.
The Club sponsors educational programs such as the Boys' State and Girls' State and D.A.R.E. program. Over the life of the Essex Lions Club, it has contributed over $43,000 to the Connecticut Lions Eye Research Center, a statewide Lions organization that provides grants for sight-related projects. The Club has made substantial and regular contributions to the Fidelco Guide Dog Foundation. The Essex Lions Club is proud to provide eye exams, eyeglasses and vision related medical treatment to residents of Essex who are in need.
The Essex Lions Club is proud of its history of accomplishments over the last 50 years and looks forward to another 50 years of Service.
Respectfully Submitted: The Honorable Edward Domnarski
Page created at 2001-09-23 and Last updated at 2004-03-21.